In a recent post, I mentioned that I had made a presentation to our Chamber Leads Group on Content Marketing and that I would be covering that presentation in a later post. This is that post.
Don’t Touch That Dial
Wait, before you quickly click to leave me, I am not going to go through that presentation. Just the major points that I think are important and worth consideration. These being:
- What is Content Marketing (briefly)
- Why do we care
- The challenges and what we can do about them
A Brief Definition – My adaptation of Joe Pulizz’s Definition
“Content Marketing is the art of understanding exactly what your customers need or want to know or experience and delivering it to them in a relevant and compelling way.”
Adopted from “Get Content Get Customers” by Joe Pulizzi & Newt Barrett
Why Do We Care ?
One Word: Internet
- The world is at our finger tips, and in our pockets (smart phone anyone?)
- The buying research is often done before contact
- We expect to find most, if not all, the information we need online
- In short, much of the “selling”, and selection, can happen before the provider is “in the game”
Why Do We Care II?
- Access is a two-way street
- Everyone is in a state of information “overload”
- We delete “noise”
- We quickly leave what is not “on target”
- To be the “Last Man Standing”, the marketing message has to be clear, and relevant to the customers’ needs
- Knowing the audience
Let’s Look At These
- Yep, it takes time
- We all have the same 24 X 7
- It’s a question of priorities
- Recognize that change is required
- You don’t have to do it all
- Get help
- It’s there, but you must…
- Have clear objectives
- Have a plan
- Be, “All In”
- Remember, it’s your business
- You’re in charge
- Be involved
- You set direction and priorities
- You decide on “What”
- Get help with the “How”
Understand Your Audience
- It seems obvious, but can be elusive
- What does your customer want or need?
- How and where are they looking for it?
- It is not about you
- It is about them!
- You can do it!
- Understand your audience
- Have a plan with clear objectives
- Get help
- Be committed!